Sunday, May 24, 2015

Day 10

Our last full day at Lourdes dawns with fog and clouds shrouding the mountains. This does not promise to be a dry day. However my pessimism of last night is gone, and we head to St. Clare for one last shift, filled again with the Joy of Mission. We meet Judith, who is to replace us in the kitchen. She is from Germany, and has a little English. We also get two different helpers from the English group to help in the kitchen. This time, a young man named Oliver who will be in seminary in Spain in the fall, and an older man named Chris who is very interested in parish ministry. We all have quite a bit to talk about, while we train them up and get the dishes done. Meanwhile, Judith does all the swiffering! Sandra even stops by to say goodbye to us. We bid au revoir to our French responsibles, for the last time and meet George for morning Mass at the Cosmos and Damien chapel. This is like our parish church at Lourdes.

We have a little time before meeting Vi for lunch, so I write a bit. We take a taxi into town as walking so far is difficult for Linda and George. We spend a few hours at lunch with Vi, and I am so happy that I have introduced Vi to my friends. They are all such very nice people. It is nice relaxed lunch; just what we all need after a long week of volunteering.

I go to my new favorite tea shop in Lourdes- Eleanor's- have a cup of tea and write. Eleanor's is a new shop this year, opened by some British ex-pats, and they have great tea in a lovely quaint shop. I write way past the time I am supposed to meet up with the group to have dinner with our friend, Luciano. Finally I meet Angela, George and Luciano and we walk over to the restaurant. We have such a nice time, befitting our last night in Lourdes. Though we hate to end the evening, we all have to pack and Luciano is on duty in the Grotto at 5:30. Angela and I walk arm in arm with Luciano back to our rooms, and say a sad goodbye, promising to meet up again whenever we return. He points out the flag on the ancient fort overlooking the sanctuary and tells us that by the way the wind is blowing it will be rainy tomorrow. Great-- nothing like loading luggage in the rain.

We pack until quite late, and I manage to have 2 fewer bags to bring home. Bonus!!!

6:30 will come very early, so I shower and crawl exhausted into bed.

PS....It never did rain today. It ended up being partly sunny all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment